Transfer Student Financial Aid

If you are considering transferring to a four-year college, it can help to review your financial aid through a transferring student’s perspective. Certain aid is only offered at the California Community College level, while other aid have specific “eligibility timeframe”. This page is designed to help you remain informed and even make a plan for your financial need as a student. Make an appointment with a Student Financial Services Coordinator for specific information.

Explore Types of Aid for Transfer Students

Aid available to FAFSA and CADAA filers:
  • Cal Grant

    The Cal Grant is only awarded at California colleges (Community College, UC, CSU, 4-year private); Cal Grant A and B; the maximum award is four years. Award amounts vary depending on college type and award type. Visit the California Student Aid Commission website to learn more about Cal Grants.

  • Middle Class Scholarship

    The Middle Class Scholarship is awarded at the UCs and CSUs and provides a 10-40% tuition reduction.

  • Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan

    This award is only awarded at the UC level: If the student’s family income is less than $80,000 per year and they qualify for financial aid, per FAFSA guidelines, they may be eligible for tuition, fees, and more to be covered, after all other financial aid is considered.

  • The State University Grant (SUG)

    The State University Grant is solely awarded at the CSU level and intends to cover remaining tuition after all other financial aid is applied (determined by the CSU the student is attending).

  • Federal Work-Study

    Federal Work-Study provides students an opportunity to earn income by working part-time while attending college. FWS is need-based and once awarded, the student will only receive these funds if they apply for and are hired for a job on-campus or select off-campus locations. A FWS job is a great way to gain work experience, network and gain income to support educational expenses.

Other aid available to FAFSA filers:
  • Pell Grant

    The Pell Grant is awarded to students with high financial need; grant amounts are dependent upon students' expected family contribution (EFC), the cost of attendance, and enrollment status (full-time or part-time).

    The Pell Grant may be awarded to a student up to 600% of their lifetime. For example, if a student is enrolled full-time in the fall and full-time in the spring, they’ll use 100% of their lifetime eligibility (half-time enrolled for each term would use 50% of their lifetime eligibility). If you plan to transfer, consider the length of time you receive a Pell Grant before you transfer and the length of time you’ll need the Pell Grant to complete your transfer program. Regardless of lifetime eligibility used, a student with a previously earned Bachelor’s degree will not be eligible for the Pell Grant.

  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

    The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is awarded to qualified FAFSA filing students with the highest need and may vary in award amount depending on the student’s enrollment (enrolled units) and college where they are studying.

  • Federal Direct Student Loans

    Federal Direct Student Loans are funds that a student may borrow from the federal government to help with tuition, books and supplies, and other college expenses. There are two types of Federal Direct Student Loans: Subsidized Loans and Unsubsidized Loans. Both loans offer low-interest rates for students and have flexible repayment options. Subsidized loans are offered to students with financial needs, while unsubsidized loans are available to eligible students regardless of financial need.

    The government sets limits on how many Federal Direct Student Loans an undergraduate student may borrow (this is called “aggregate limit”). The aggregate limit for dependent students is $31,000, while the limit for independent students is $57,500. No more than $23,000 may be in subsidized loans. SRJC is committed to helping students to minimize their student loan borrowing through the SRJC Student Loan Borrowing Plan.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and why it matters

Students may continue to be awarded financial aid up to 150% of their program, also known as Maximum Timeframe. For example, the typical AA program requires 60 units to earn the degree; the student can continue to receive financial aid up to attempting 90 units total. Once the student has attempted more than 90 units, they are no longer eligible for financial aid. As a transfer student, it’s helpful to be aware that the typical bachelor’s program requires 124 units (150% of this is 186 attempted units). Click here for more information about SAP.